What Patients Can Benefit From BioHeal Hydrogel?
- 37.3M Americans have diabetes
- 11.2M diabetics will develop a diabetic foot ulcer in their lifetime
- 8.2M Medicare patients are affected by hard-to-heal wounds each year
- 5.2M adults are estimated to suffer from chronic wound annually, 60% of these are hard to heal
- There are 1M severe burns & abrasions in the US per year
Costs To Treat Chronic Wounds Annually:
- Chronic wound care costs an estimated 28B
- Direct costs of materials (such as wound dressings) are estimated to be 15-20% of total care costs
- Costs can vary per patient from $1,890 to $33,900 per treatment episode
- There are an estimated 500,000 burns treated in the United States each year and medical costs for burn treatments approaches $2 billion per year
BioHeal Matrix®Technology (BMT)
We are focused on bringing BioHeal Hydrogel, a porcine amnion derived hydrogel product candidate, to market which is processed with our patented BioHeal Matrix Technology. BioHeal Hydrogel is easy to apply to wounds as a covering to support natural healing.
What Makes BioHeal Matrix Technology Different?
The key difference from other tissue processing technologies that decellularize the tissue, is BMT solubilizes the amnion membrane, allowing it to be made into a hydrogel that is easy to apply called BioHeal Hydrogel.
- Is a moisture retaining hydrogel barrier.
- Is a non-immunogenic amnion membrane that maintains the extra cellular matrix (ECM) of the amnion that promotes wound healing.
- Our research studies have demonstrated the potential benefit of the BioHeal Hydrogel product candidate to function as a wound covering for natural wound healing.
Hyaluronic Acid Component:
- BioHeal Matrix Technology combines solubilized amnion with the carrier hyaluronic acid (HA) to form a hydrogel.
- HA is a natural physiological constituent of connective tissue.
- HA is made up mostly of collagen which is one of the major components of the human body.
- Collagen serves as a matrix and scaffold to support angiogenesis and cell proliferation for wound healing.
- Collagen provides a protective barrier.
Committed to Delivering Innovative Technologies
BIOHEAL THERAPEUTICS has 12 patents issued or pending globally for its Solubilized Amnion Membrane (SAM) product portfolio in the US, Canada, Europe, Australia, Japan and South Korea. The technology was initially funded by a $1,240,000 grant from the U.S. Department of Defense to WFIRM to develop a technology to treat US soldiers suffering from severe burns and wounds inflicted on the battlefield.
Published Research Articles
There have been 14 published research articles and numerous podium presentations at scientific meetings focused on BIOHEAL THERAPEUTICS amnion technology or hyaluronic acid technology platforms by the inventors and their team from WFIRM.
Peer reviewed scientific research has shown benefits of amnion derived products include:
- provides an extracellular matrix primarily composed of a collagen matrix for natural healing
- provides a wound covering to support the natural healing process
- BIOHEAL THERAPEUTICS has 14 peer reviewed articles published and numerous podium presentations discussing our technology